Thursday, February 28, 2013

My dreams, shattered.


Imagine my surprise, at the following letter showing up in my inbox:

Dear Mr. White, 
We are contacting you as a potential candidate for our team of scientists, physicists and engineers dedicated to designing and building the first tokomat-powered intra-galaxy space ship. Your published novels indicate an impressive knowledge of the components and software needed for the success of this endeavor. Our company, Space Trek International, has generous financial backing from several nations and we can offer you a six-figure salary to start. 
We are working in a 10-year time frame so time is of the essence. Please respond if you are available and we'll go into more detail. 
Sincerely,
Barton L. Fitzroy, CBO, DSc

Of course, it was a little strange that they misspelled tokamak, but I figured what the heck, it doesn't hurt to be polite. I replied with:


I am absolutely interested in learning more about this - please let me know what I can do to help.

Warmest regards,
Dain White

How does this story end? In ABJECT SADNESS and TEARS OF IMPOTENT RAGE, as the next reply was:

GOTCHA ~Grampa

It's not even April 1st. How am I supposed to go on after this? There isn't a super secret think-tank team that wants me involved with building a starship? No six figure salary? You mean to tell me I have to immediately and WITHOUT DELAY go back to my mundane existence?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets