Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Giving it a kick?

I wish I could just write. My life would be so much simpler, so much more serene... so much more caffeinated. Unfortunately, I can't. My life is only possible, because like many of you, I work for a living somewhere, doing something, and it's not writing. Okay, it is writing... but it's writing code. Equally as addicting, but not as fun as science fiction and adventure.

Many people have begged me to quit my day job and write, but the simple fact is, I can't provide for my family through book sales alone. Not with my current exposure and publication level. What I need to do, is seek a real book deal / contract, or possibly crowd-source funds so I can retire to a comfy spot and start mashing keys in earnest.

I've been thinking about using Kickstarter to try and fund a year's worth of writing. If I could devote 60 hours / week on writing, I could really push out the books - of this I am confident. Janis was written in 30 days, and while my life was pretty much consumed at that point by writing, I was also working.

If I wasn't working, a book / month would be a pretty realistic goal.

How cool would it be to have ten more books from me this year? We can dream, right? Well, I can, anyway. I'll dream enough for everyone, and have some left over to spare.

I'm still thinking about what sort of rewards I could give for Kickstarter. So far I have kicked around ideas of offering signed paperbacks of my books, rights to name characters, planets, suggest cool story ideas...

What else might motivate you to pledge money to make me quit my day job?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets