Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Old-time radio play... in space?

The little sister of one of my oldest friends...let's call him Forrest (because that's his name, and we might as well keep picking on him) reached out to me on facebook with an idea that I couldn't turn down, to write a serialized radio play for her theater troupe.

First, let me make this totally clear: I am a life-long fan of Firesign Theater. 

I love every last bit of every thing they did, and I honestly can't tell you how many times I've listened to Ralph Spoilsport, Nick Danger, or Tiny Little Doctor Tim, living in a life-size replica of the Taj Mahal made entirely out of oleomargarine. If you're shaking your head in disbelief at the moment, I can commiserate - but I'd also suggest you RUN (don't walk) to get your hands on as much Firesign Theater as you can.

Also, to be clear - in no way, shape or form, will what I write bear even the slightest bit of resemblance to Firesign Theater, aside from the fact that people will be reading the script live, with sound effects. Instead of radio, they're going to put it up on a podcast - but other than that, I am confident that my attempt will be at best, a very pale imitation of the true comedic genius that was Firesign. 

It was suggested that I take some moments from my books, and trim them down, cut them up, and hybridize them into thirty minute serials... but I had a better idea. 

I am instead, writing Brand New™ material, using this opportunity to flesh out a moment in the book that was really just briefly described, but for which there are vast opportunities for expansion and dialog. 

Which moment, you might be asking?

Sorry, I wish I could tell you. Forrest only lives ten hours away, you know, and while that's pretty far to drive for a vacation, it's really not that far at all when you have an ass-kicking to deliver.

I am really excited about this opportunity to push a new dimension of entertainment, and have completed the first draft of the first episode, though it's really little more than a sketch at this point, and needs a bit more work before it's ready. 

The style of writing is a lot different from what I am used to, but it really gives me a lot of great opportunities to play on human reactions - and after all, that is pretty important. We as listeners become a fly on the wall to the event, watching and listening to it unfold. 

I can say 'it smelled like the worst thing you can imagine' in a book, but when you hear Gene howl in anguish at the miserably nasty reek leaking through the slowly opening hatch, well, that's a whole new dimension! 

Oh blast. I may have given too much away there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets